In 2010, the Green Party released Mind the Gap - the third installment of the Green New Deal - 'shovel-ready' initiatives that the Government could take to combat the biggest economic, environmental, and social problems facing Aotearoa New Zealand.
The Mind the Gap package contains ten solutions for the government to implement to combat growing inequality in New Zealand.
- Solution 1: A tax-free $10,000
- Solution 2: A comprehensive capital gains tax (except on family homes)
- Solution 3: Raise the minimum wage
- Solution 4: Progressive electricity prices
- Solution 5: In-Work Tax Credits for all low income families with dependent kids
- Solution 6: Reinstate a discretionary Special Benefit
- Solution 7: Reinstate and extend the Training Incentive Allowance
- Solution 8: 6,000 new state houses in the next three years
- Solution 9: Investment in community housing
- Solution 10: Secure long-term rental tenure
Read more about the Mind the Gap package.