The Green Party envisions a world in which recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equitable and inalienable rights and responsibilities of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world. We envision a world where everyone is able to contribute meaningfully to decisions which impact on ourselves, our communities, our environment and the generations which will follow us. In such a world, Aotearoa New Zealand exemplifies transparent, inclusive and consensus-based decision-making based on Te Tiriti o Waitangi and Maori are able to exercise tino rangatiratanga.
A democratic Aotearoa New Zealand:
- Recognises the constitutional centrality of both Te Tiriti o Waitangi, and the Declaration of Independence.
- Empowers all its citizens to participate and contribute to communal well-being and be involved in local decision-making
- Respects the rights and needs of all its citizens
- Cultivates collective decision-making through informed, inclusive, structured consensus-seeking dialogue, giving due weight and effect to the voices of the many and of the few
- Safeguards its political and economic autonomy, including the right to set its own standards
- Institutes protections against abuse of power and privilege
- Reduces the potential for conflicts of interest in the exercise of authority
- Avoids exploitation and advantaging of any group at the expense of any other.
- Supports gender balance in decision-making bodies.
- Facilitates workplace democracy and collective organisation
See the full Constitutional Reform Policy for more detail.